AuthorMessage
ZeroHero
Pro Duelist
Pro Duelist

Male Number of posts : 480
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 2579-1318-6605
Date Joined : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:30 am

If you’ve seen the new ban list for September, you know Solemn Judgment has been limited, which was quite a shock to most people (including me) and some even say there’s no reason behind it. I’ve seen some discussions about Dark Bribe replacing Solemn. I’d have to disagree with both statements.

Dark Bribe negates a spell/trap and gives your opponent a free draw. Warrior Toolbox and Stun decks are really the only decks that can handle this trade-off. In most cases, all you’re really doing is giving your opponent another option. I believe the following cards are what will replace Solemn.

First up is Dust Tornado. It’s chainable and “negates” your opponent’s facedown cards when you destroy them on the turn they’re set. Another reason is with Call of the Haunted back and Solemn Judgment virtually gone (let’s face it, 1 Solemn Judgment is only going to prove to be situational more often than not), ST destruction might be all over the place, especially with Breaker unlimited, so you’re going to want to set your cards during your opponent’s end phase so they don’t have a chance to destroy them on their turn.

Alongside Dust Tornado, Magic Drain might see a bit more play. It’s a great card simply because it either negates your opponent’s spell or kills something in their hand or they use something to negate it (and with Solemn Judgment limited, that’s not going to happen often). Essentially, it always gets rid of something.

Last but not least, Threatening Roar will probably be mained now instead of sided. Not only is Solemn limited but Bottomless Trap Hole was also semi-limited. We’re pretty much sitting ducks to OTKs, so we need chainable cards that can stop them.

I mentioned Breaker earlier. Lightsworn is still the top deck. I think more traps will be played in this format with Solemn gone, so more LS players are bound to run Royal Decree. We already had Trap Eater to dispose of it and now that Breaker is unlimited. Royal Decree has lost power; meaning traps have gained power. This is why I believe Solemn’s limit is justified and make the game more balanced.

Well, that’s my two cents on Solemn’s limit and how it will affect the game.
Back to top Go down
freed
Duelist Admiral
Duelist Admiral

Male Number of posts : 233
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 3696_2142_9085
Date Joined : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:04 am

no love for nobleman of extermenation ?
Back to top Go down
ZeroHero
Pro Duelist
Pro Duelist

Male Number of posts : 480
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 2579-1318-6605
Date Joined : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:40 am

Never thought of it but everyone pretty much runs the same traps anyway so you'll be getting rid of your own as well. I guess if you really want to thin your deck while cutting off my opponent as well, go for it.
Back to top Go down
Drakan
Pro Duelist
Pro Duelist

Male Number of posts : 367
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 0174|0024|8838
Tournament Awards :
Date Joined : 2009-08-01

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:07 am

i guess dark bribe is slightly better than solemn,it lets ur opponant draw a card instead of halving your own LP.BUUT they have a hand advantahe D:
Back to top Go down
blackarchfienddragon
Star Duelist
Star Duelist

Male Number of posts : 928
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 1849-0393-2024
Special Awards :
Date Joined : 2009-04-24

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:37 am

Drakan wrote:
i guess dark bribe is slightly better than solemn,it lets ur opponant draw a card instead of halving your own LP.BUUT they have a hand advantahe D:

wen my opponent used dark bribe on me i drew the card i needed at the time, so it helped me , then i won on that turn lol
Back to top Go down
Shiki
Star Duelist
Star Duelist

Male Number of posts : 1624
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 0474-9581-2060
Date Joined : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:52 am

To be honest, I always hated Solemn Judgement. Since it's now being limited, Oppression decks will rise, or people will start siding Black Horn of Heaven. Dark Bribe gives the opponent a hand advantage but it can be both good and bad for you. Dust Tornado was always a good card but I never really seen others use it. About your statement of Breaker being unlimited now....I don't think trap cards will actually be more common. Most likely magic but I dont really see the part where traps would come in unless they can be activated without certain conditions. Most people now will just start to use Trap Hole as an option. It was always a good card but it never worked for special summoning. Either people will just run: Trap Hole x3 and Royal Oppression x3 (+ Mirror Force or Torrential if they add any.) That's pretty much all they will need. Magic Drain can actually screw over your opponent more but they could always have that one magic card that they drew which won't help them and dump it. Using Nobleman of Extermination was good for when people ran 3 solemns. It does come with a drawback but if the card you destroyed is already facedown on your side of the field, it won't be removed from play if I recall. Double Spell is a GREAT (emphazised) card especially if your going to have Magic Drain. I believe Serial Spell might see some play too but back to the Double Spell + Magic Drain = Oh, I can use that card later on when he leasts expects it. (Volcanic Rocket is pretty much the main attraction to it since it can keep recycling Blaze Accel which can be food for double spell.) If Threatning Roar is now mained, expect to see a lot more of burn decks. Well this is my current statings for now.
Back to top Go down
blackarchfienddragon
Star Duelist
Star Duelist

Special Awards :

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:58 am

Shiki wrote:
To be honest, I always hated Solemn Judgement. Since it's now being limited, Oppression decks will rise, or people will start siding Black Horn of Heaven. Dark Bribe gives the opponent a hand advantage but it can be both good and bad for you. Dust Tornado was always a good card but I never really seen others use it. About your statement of Breaker being unlimited now....I don't think trap cards will actually be more common. Most likely magic but I dont really see the part where traps would come in unless they can be activated without certain conditions. Most people now will just start to use Trap Hole as an option. It was always a good card but it never worked for special summoning. Either people will just run: Trap Hole x3 and Royal Oppression x3 (+ Mirror Force or Torrential if they add any.) That's pretty much all they will need. Magic Drain can actually screw over your opponent more but they could always have that one magic card that they drew which won't help them and dump it. Using Nobleman of Extermination was good for when people ran 3 solemns. It does come with a drawback but if the card you destroyed is already facedown on your side of the field, it won't be removed from play if I recall. Double Spell is a GREAT (emphazised) card especially if your going to have Magic Drain. I believe Serial Spell might see some play too but back to the Double Spell + Magic Drain = Oh, I can use that card later on when he leasts expects it. (Volcanic Rocket is pretty much the main attraction to it since it can keep recycling Blaze Accel which can be food for double spell.) If Threatning Roar is now mained, expect to see a lot more of burn decks. Well this is my current statings for now.

wow, that is deep shiki, but you run a good point, since bottlmeless is semi limited or limited (cnt remember)
Back to top Go down
Drakan
Pro Duelist
Pro Duelist

Tournament Awards :

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:37 pm

funny that people run about 5 traps,i run 10 Razz they save you from situations in which spells cannot.
Back to top Go down
blackarchfienddragon
Star Duelist
Star Duelist

Special Awards :

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:53 pm

Drakan wrote:
funny that people run about 5 traps,i run 10 Razz they save you from situations in which spells cannot.

well i try to run more then 5, but thats mostly because my deck doesnt reallly rely on traps lol
Back to top Go down
InfinitySlayer
Star Duelist
Star Duelist

Male Number of posts : 1036
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 1806-3968-9281
Date Joined : 2009-08-05

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:05 pm

Well, in most decks, my standard Trap lineup is this:

Spoiler:

Yes, you saw it right, I run Solemn Judgment. "Why" you may ask? First off, paying half of your Life Points to negate just about anything your opponent throws at you is an awesome trade-off. I remember when ZeroHero predicted people might be running more Breakers and LS using another Lyla because of the un-banning of CotH and making Solemn useless. He might be right, but I still think Solemn is still a great card notheless.

You have a chance to chain it's activation to most summons (JD, DAD etc) and to negate most harmful effects (except for monsters effects, of course) as long as you have Life Points to spare, unless some other Counter-traps like Pollinosis.

I see most people running 2-3 Dark Bribe in their decks. Although I can see the reasoning behind that, I never think that giving your opponent a free draw is a good idea. What if they just drew their DAD? Or their JD? Plus, Bribe cannot negate the summons of potentially deadly monsters (like Gyzarus), but Solemn can. Bottomless Trap Hole can still destroy it, but the opponent can call priority and still destroy 2 cards on the field.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/DarkInfinitySlayer
Drakan
Pro Duelist
Pro Duelist

Tournament Awards :

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:38 pm

blackarchfienddragon wrote:
Drakan wrote:

well i try to run more then 5, but thats mostly because my deck doesnt reallly rely on traps lol

My Deck runs on defence,mainly stalling until i pump out my Stardust Dragon or something.So 10 traps is reasonable for me.Especially the new negate card,scap iron scarecrow.
Back to top Go down
blackarchfienddragon
Star Duelist
Star Duelist

Special Awards :

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:10 am

Drakan wrote:
Drakan wrote:

My Deck runs on defence,mainly stalling until i pump out my Stardust Dragon or something.So 10 traps is reasonable for me.Especially the new negate card,scap iron scarecrow.

yep thats tru, i faced it lol. but yeh i do run about 9 traps i loked at most my decks lol
Back to top Go down
VenusRose
Pro Duelist
Pro Duelist

Female Number of posts : 359
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 3309 0489 7569
Date Joined : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:28 am

Oh yay....

Now I can remake my wc07 deck.

Actually most cards they limit I almost never use that much.

Another limit list that doesn't affect me that much. XD

But....hmm...well Solemn....it's....just....funny when people use it in the wrong way. Every time I hear of it, I remember...

"Spell"
"Solemn" 4000LP
"Dark Bribe"
"Solemn" 2000LP

*Punches Tag Partner.
Back to top Go down
http://vaaneessaa.deviantart.com
dayvividnerdvillage
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 2237
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 4169 - 7784 - 9311
Tournament Awards :
Special Awards :
Date Joined : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:05 am

you guys disapointed me of this soo solemn speech. You are all not seing the big picture here.

Rescue Cat is limited. then Summoner Monk is limited. These two were my top decks how weird?

Then they limited Mind Control. What good does that do if players rarely runs flip effects other than Spyies.

Then lastly they ban Monster reborn and bring back Call of the Haunter. If they should ban that they will bring back Premature Burial. If not they will bring back Monster Reborn. If all three are banned possibly they might bring back Metamorphism as a replacement or there might be a new meta that doest need these card to put a perfect termination to this endless on and off switch. Theey bring back call to slow the speed of Special Summon specially Synchro OTKs with Monks and Cats.

Black Rose Dragon is put limited because you can get that with just one card. Can anyone figure that out? Lastly the good old Lonefire is categorized as OU in at least 87% of decks with control Plant Anti Meta, or Power Pownage.

No one uses Baboon even though they put it as semi-limited. It was a test to see how many uses it but no one takes the advantages because synchros are faster. Then Raiza lost it's fame ever since Cauis came. You should be expecting that soon on the next list. And finally they limited Demise just as I wished it to be ever since that card was made lol. Now players uses it on various OTK inclued Demise-Bomber or Demise Gai.

Meaning the now Meta is all about Synchro. Seriously LS decks sucks. They are just preety in real life but with you having the same potential of cards and money you can wipe them clean with just a GB Dimmensional deck. Then the on and off deck search makes them unstapabvle which is why STUNS are there and other ANTImeta decks just to kill glads. So therfor they do not bother with them from this list since there are lots of anti meta decks.

Yeah, Yeah, they ban Solemn, what am I ever going to do Shocked I never thought of that lol. With just this list just like Venus I've already adapted to the format and can play along without having problems. Not that I'm going to miss March list, but I was counting my days to see a changes like this lol. Now we are no longer in starting of Synchros pack and konami finally put a stop to some limitless combos.
Back to top Go down
http://www.konamiworldchampionship.com/
blackarchfienddragon
Star Duelist
Star Duelist

Special Awards :

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:16 pm

VenusRose wrote:
Oh yay....

Now I can remake my wc07 deck.

Actually most cards they limit I almost never use that much.

Another limit list that doesn't affect me that much. XD

But....hmm...well Solemn....it's....just....funny when people use it in the wrong way. Every time I hear of it, I remember...

"Spell"
"Solemn" 4000LP
"Dark Bribe"
"Solemn" 2000LP

*Punches Tag Partner.

lol that is so funny lol, unless it actually happens to you xd
Back to top Go down
VenusRose
Pro Duelist
Pro Duelist

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:40 pm

Quote :

Yeah go to 2:25 mins into the video and you can see the LP eater in action.

I am LIKE OMG

Actually there was 2 solemns a couple of times, but I didn't record it. This is as close as that.
Back to top Go down
blackarchfienddragon
Star Duelist
Star Duelist

Special Awards :

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:54 pm

VenusRose wrote:
Quote :

Yeah go to 2:25 mins into the video and you can see the LP eater in action.

I am LIKE OMG

Actually there was 2 solemns a couple of times, but I didn't record it. This is as close as that.

thats not funny, my cpu partner did that and ended up killin of my lp, and i was bout to win lol xd
Back to top Go down
VenusRose
Pro Duelist
Pro Duelist

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:19 pm

thats not funny, my cpu partner did that and ended up killin of my lp, and i was bout to win lol xd

Lol where did I specify that it was funny? I was agreeing with your "lol that is so funny lol, unless it actually happens to you xd".
And that did happen to me. Wink
Back to top Go down
blackarchfienddragon
Star Duelist
Star Duelist

Special Awards :

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:36 pm

VenusRose wrote:

Lol where did I specify that it was funny? I was agreeing with your "lol that is so funny lol, unless it actually happens to you xd".
And that did happen to me. Wink

no i now you were agrreing, im just saying like thats just not funny, like im not saying it to you, its like well im jus sayin it i guess xd
soz for confusion venus
Back to top Go down
Drakan
Pro Duelist
Pro Duelist

Tournament Awards :

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Two things i wanna say:

in WC10 (or whatever the title is) they really need to sort out the AI,the CPU still plays like this in stardust accelerator,like 5 mins ago they had 200lpand they summon a masked dragon to attack my face down monster while i had FGD on myfield.

&& i hate the game graphics of the monsters,if u look at snipe compared to 09's snipe it really sux,for all monsters,zoom in and its blurred to hell.i just hope they dont make another disaster like wc09 -.-
Back to top Go down
tropireno
Pro Duelist
Pro Duelist

Male Number of posts : 260
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 0861-5028-0265
Date Joined : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:30 pm

Stardust Dragon will be the successor to Solemn.
Back to top Go down
Vane1
Pro Duelist
Pro Duelist

Male Number of posts : 498
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 0387-7319-9811
Special Awards :
Date Joined : 2008-09-28

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:36 pm

tropireno wrote:
Stardust Dragon will be the successor to Solemn.

Or Stardust Assault in some cases.
Back to top Go down
http://www.google.com
Dark Half Light Half
Registered Duelist
Registered Duelist

Male Number of posts : 13
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 0088 0328 4585
Date Joined : 2009-09-08

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:24 am

Stardust Assault is Solemn+ but its really conditional to get out. Stardust is almost a Solemn with 2500 attack. The only reason its not on the restricted list is because its low attack makes it a target, and even if it uses the effect, removing it from grave means it doesn't come back.
Back to top Go down
tropireno
Pro Duelist
Pro Duelist

Male Number of posts : 260
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 0861-5028-0265
Date Joined : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:14 pm

Vane1 wrote:
Or Stardust Assault in some cases.

Stardust Assault can't be splashed in any and every deck. It needs its own deck.

Normal Stardust, like Solemn CAN be splashed in any and every deck. In fact, its a staple for most every Extra deck.
Back to top Go down
InfinitySlayer
Star Duelist
Star Duelist

Male Number of posts : 1036
5Ds WC 2011 FC : 1806-3968-9281
Date Joined : 2009-08-05

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:25 pm

True, but not all decks can afford to generate level 8 Synchros, like Gladiator Beasts, for example.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/DarkInfinitySlayer
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Successor of Solemn Judgment?   

Back to top Go down

The Successor of Solemn Judgment?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next